Sunday, October 14, 2012

Tread Softly



I've listened to a couple of fantastic TED talks lately.  (If you're interested, I recommend this one.  And this.)  And if you have any favorites, I'd love to know about them; they make such lovely distraction while I'm exercising.


At the end of one of Ken Robinson's talks about education he said:

"Everyday, everywhere our children spread their dreams beneath our feet.  And we should tread softly."

Those words gave me chills and made me misty-eyed.  And they've sort of been haunting me for two days.  The implications are so heavy and big.

I also listened to this incredible talk recently.  Elder Eyring's words about seeking revelation as to who our children really are, and what they're here to do is sitting deep in my mother heart.  (This talk was given in the priesthood session of general conference - an all male audience.  I changed two phrases to make it gender inclusive.)


As a young father I prayed to know what contributions my children might make in the Lord’s kingdom. For the boys, I knew they could have priesthood opportunities. For the girls, I knew they would give service representing the Lord. All would be doing His work. I knew each was an individual, and therefore the Lord would have given them specific gifts for each to use in His service.
Now, I cannot tell every parent or every leader of youth the details of what is best for you to do. But I can promise you that you will bless them to help them recognize the spiritual gifts with which they were born. Every person is different and has a different contribution to make. No one is destined to fail. As you seek revelation to see gifts God sees in those you parent and lead —particularly the young—you will be blessed to lift their sights to the service they can perform. With your guidance, those you lead will be able to see, want, and believe they can achieve their full potential for service in God’s kingdom.

1 comment:

  1. Nate's face...he's so cute. He is such a good one, Em. I'm glad you two found each other...and I'm glad you made beautiful babies together too. That sounds a bit funny...but you know what I mean. You have lovely children and they are both so delightful and darling. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete