Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Something I Need To Tell You


Image taken from SarahJaneStudios Etsy Shop. (I would like to own every print of hers. Every single one.)

I'm not aspiring to be a daily blogger (though I would love to be so disciplined and creative), I just have a lot on my mind (and my children are providing me with a lot of blogworthy material lately).

I'm not very good at New Year's resolutions; I get excited about goal setting in January, but usually lose my momentum by about Valentine's Day. This year I'm trying something a little different; monthly resolutions -- little goals or states of being that I'm trying to be more mindful of for a month at a time. My hope is that after a month of focus, a little more of the virtue or habit will be present than before, even if complete mastery has not occurred. We'll see how it goes. For January, my resolution was to express more gratitude. The expression took various forms (could/should have done more), but the goal was always present somewhere in my mind. And it was just the right amount of time for someone so prone to distraction as myself.

Anyway, as you may have gathered, I've been thinking a lot about this silly blog of mine lately -- why I do it, what I get from it, the time I devote to it, blah, blah, blah...it's absurd, really. I mean, just have a blog, post things and be done with it, right? Yes. Except it can't be that simple for me. I don't know why I am compelled to analyze and contemplate such simple things to the extent that I do.

Whatever.

My weirdness is no secret.

The point is that last night I was laying in bed and apparently there was a bit of grateful-mindedness lingering from January's efforts (good thing seeing as how it's only the third day of February), and I thought, "I'm really thankful for the people who read my blog and I don't think I've ever told them." What a lovely little community of support I have here. I've received so many encouraging, (overly) kind, thought-provoking, helpful, loving comments. So, in the spirit of appreciation-sharing...

Thank you.


Thank you.
Very Much.

11 comments:

  1. Thank YOU for your blog! I love it!
    Yours is one of the first I ever read and now I see that others' can't even hold a candle to yours! I love your writing, your thoughts, your stories, your honesty and you! Thank YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em, you are one of the reasons I started a blog. Love you, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily - I've been reading your blog for a while, and have never commented before. Anyways, just wanted to say how much I appreciate your writings! You are so genuine, and remind me to stop and appreciate the little moments. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On a whim, I clicked on your name from Danielle's blog, and there it was: February in writing. For some time now I've been lusting over these prints. Nice to know that someone else feels the same way. I just may have to start reading your blog. Any fan of Sarah Jane's is a friend of mine.

    Hoping this isn't bordering on creepy,
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. alissa, any friend of Danielle's is a friend of mine...welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your monthly resolutions! I think about why I blog a lot too. Sometimes I think I might give it up, but it always lures me back in. It's interesting though to see the evolution of people's blogs as they move through life.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good idea about monthly resolutions! Maybe I'll start up some. I'm not so much into making huge resolutions at the new year either, I do better when I make little steps throughout the year.

    And I love your blog too. And I love the new direction of it. love love love

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aren't blogs funny? But they are great fun to me and I do feel a lot of support from friends.

    Thank you for your blog. I love coming here for funny stories, excellent writing, beautiful pictures, and always a tug at the heartstrings.

    And thanks for the support you give me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. my reader is NOT working so I'm late to the party here..


    but i adore you, no secret there

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Em. Call me coconut!!!! Pretty Pretty Please with a cherry on top!!! I miss Yall SOOOOOOO much! Hope to see you soon. We give you much love!!

    ReplyDelete