Friday, November 20, 2009

Remedy

Been feeling a little blue lately. I don't exactly dazzle when it comes to change - especially when the change alters my sense of "home." But when I settle into my more proper frame of mind (ie when the spirit is close) I am overwhelmed with blessings.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Glad...
* for November days warm enough for swinging and park playing
* for health
* for sweet children
* for their sweet father (incidentally, he's been lifting weights again for the first time in years, and his muscles are coming back. I think that's really cute).
* for Lily's chuggy buns
* and Henry's cheeks - still a little flopsy and chubby, the only bit of residual toddler that remains
* for great chats with dear friends (Nat - your optimism and faith brighten my soul. Thank you. Linds - I really appreciated our visit yesterday. You inspire me. Tracy - your invitations mean so much to me -- one of these days, we're going to get together. You are a sweet friend.)
* for perspective-altering
* for this talk
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

* for Lily's morning hair (and face, and breath and smell and voice) oh, i love her in the morning
* for a tender heart and the blessing of feeling deeply, even when it makes me cry
* for a change of plans this weekend
* that I got asked out for Saturday night - we need a date. boy, do we
* for the kind friends who offered complimentary babysitting for said date
* that today is bread day; i love bread day
* for advent inspiration; (thanks, Traci!) christmas season is going to be magical this year
* for my mom
* for our picnic on the balcony yesterday; the way Lily just gobbled up the blueberries, saying "Mmmmm" after every bite, and the way Henry put raspberry "roofs" on each of his fingertips
* for these words:
"To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony."

WILLIAM HENRY CHANNING.

I want that to be my symphony, too.

* for my faith

Also, I think you should watch this video. You'll be glad you did.

7 comments:

  1. lovely photos... especially the swing ones! love those! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great video!! Makes me feel all warm inside my heart and now I am thankful for everything that I have in my life!! Thank you Emily for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that little girl! I want one too!!! :)
    Thanks for the smile, Em.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad for your camera capturing these two gorgeous children and gorgeous you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily, I love reading your blog. You're always so honest and yet, you put things out there in such an eloquent way. Hang in there with the move. "This too shall pass" and you'll be in a more permanent setting soon. Keep your chin up. You're an optimist. And you have a very sweet, very beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. something I'm thankful for--your sweet comment on my blog last week. and I'm right with you in hoping that we meet someday in real life. hurrah for kindred spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, and I love the quote from William Henry Channing. really, really, really love it.

    ReplyDelete