Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sisters, Sisters

It is a common religious practice in our church to fast one Sunday each month. The hardest part of the fast for me is going without water and food, but mostly water. I go on an anticipatory water binge the night before in an effort to stave off thirst during the fast. I'm sure this detracts from the intended spirituality of the practice, so I think I'm going to stop. Plus, the pre-fast guzzling only results in a long night of frequently interrupted sleep for bladder-emptying purposes and I still get gummy lips and cotton mouth during the fast.

My sisters are here this week and I'm trying to soak up as much of them as I can, but I fear that this will be a similarly fruitless effort, because the sweetness and spunk that I sponge up and store for later just won't be as good as the real Halley and Kate, and I'll still be thirsty for them when they're gone. So while they're here I'm savoring.

Savoring their genuine laughter that comes easily and fills our house with sunshine. Savoring their help with Henry and with dinner and with dishes. Savoring their company. Savoring the fruity and flowery smells of their lip gloss, hair potions, body sprays and lotions. Their quarters small like Eden. Savoring the sound of their names on Henry's lips: "Ah-Hal" and "Ah-Kate." And last, but most definitely not least, savoring the hip new assortment of music that they have introduced into my life.

We've been cooking, driving, chilling and jamming to Snow Patrol, Nelly Furtado, John Mayer, KT Tunstall. My musical world has never been so current and diverse. Last night at dinner we took turns telling each other what our favorite songs are and now we want to tell you... (if you click on the red links you'll land at YouTube.com where you will be able to watch the music videos for the songs--this is the only venue I know of where you can listen to these tunes in their entirety. However, I don't necessarily endorse the content of the videos, so you might just want to minimize the screen while you listen to the music. I apologize for any content that might offend your sensibilities.)

Em: Fidelity, Regina Spektor

Break Your Heart, Natalie Merchant

Breakable, Ingrid Michaelson

In Your Eyes, Peter Gabriel

Kate: Say it Right, Nelly Furtado

If You Fall, Azure Ray

Over It, Katharine McPhee

Halley: Addicted, Kelly Clarkson

Serenity (Artist??)

Waitin’ on the World to Change, John Mayer


Nate: Snow, Red Hot Chili Peppers

All songs U2

Now we're hoping you'll leave a comment and tell us what songs you're loving these days so we can add a few to our collection of favorites. Thanks! (We're smiling.)
Here's what else made us smile this week:

Nate had a long, tiring week. I realized the extent of his exhaustion when I walked into the office late on Thursday night and found him asleep in front of his computer with one finger on the "B" key... bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

Many lines of b's. Nate also did our taxes this week...and we're getting a return for the first time in our married life. Wahoooo!

Another first for the Williams family was Henry's first bowl of mac-n-cheese, (at least the first since he's been conscious of the appearance of his food,) and as soon as I put it down in front of him he exclaimed, "Owinge Wice!" (orange rice.) He's also revealed an intense liking for chewing gum and when he disappears we know almost certainly that he's slipped away into Kate and Hal's room to look for the gum in their suitcase. I've found him hiding in there several times, wrappers strewn all over the floor, cheeks bulging with wads of blue gum. I let him savor the flavor for a few moments and he smiles with his whole chubby, gum-spit-covered face until the very devastating moment when I swab out his treasure with my finger.

And of course, when Halley and Kate walked through the big revolving doors of the baggage claim in the DFW airport--we were smiling! smiling! smiling! And we pretty much haven't stopped since.

No comments:

Post a Comment